Taking family portraits is a rewarding experience for any portrait photographer, but tweens can be a difficult phase to capture.
It’s a golden chance to capture a young person’s personality, and it’s a record of their interests now. Maybe their senior portrait will show a completely new interest, or maybe they’ll stay the same, but it’s a great way to remember how they were right now.
Here are some tips to make the process much easier:
- If you can photograph them on their own, they’ll be much less self-conscious.
- Talk to them and explain what you’re doing. Get them involved and they’ll be interested.
- They’ll also be much happier if you capture them doing something that they love, dancing, playing a musical instrument, painting etc.
- Ask them if they have any ideas of what they’d like to showcase.
- Be interested in them.
- Show them the images that you’re taking, and reassure them that they’re going to get photos that they will like as well as Mom and Dad.
- Use your portrait editing software to clean up any transient blemishes.
- Use Smart Photo Editor to offer them some additional, creative and unusual images
Take the pressure off the actual session:
Schedule a planning session with the whole family to talk about what will happen, and what everyone should wear. There’ll be much less tension between parents and kids before the session if the kids know what to expect, and they’ve already agreed on what they’d like to wear. Everyone’s much happier when they’re comfortable in what they’re wearing and kids and tweens have their own ways of expressing themselves too.
Having several different ideas for locations, some indoors and some outdoors, can help; making sure that there’s some variety going on can stop the boredom setting in. It’s not just kids that get bored either! No one likes getting stuck in the rain, so having a rain plan is essential.
PortraitPro is the best way to clear up any small blemishes, and it can give kids, tweens and teens the confidence that any blemishes they don’t like can be cleared up, quickly and easily.
They might also like to tell you which effects they like best from the Smart Photo Editor Gallery. Have some example images ready so they can see what they look like.