It’s the first day of Spring and there should be an improvement in the weather coming. It’s been a long winter, but it’s time to celebrate new beginnings. What better way to start off Spring than to think about photographing newborns.
If it’s a lifestyle shoot, capturing some great images of the baby in their first home environment, with their parents, siblings and pets is a great idea.
Here are some tips on improving your new born images.
- Keep the area warm, and the baby well fed, so that your subject is as comfortable as possible. A happy baby is a sleepy baby, and a sleepy baby is much easier to photograph.
- Stay calm no matter what happens. If the photographer becomes distressed, then the parents and the baby will be more likely to be distressed.
- Keep your images simple. A tiny new born baby is so small and innocent it doesn’t need complicated set ups to be interesting.
- You can get some great props that will help you create unique images, but the best ones are the simplest. Check out some of the ones we like on our Pinterest board.
- Take close up shots of the tiny details. It’s great to get a bit of perspective, and to show just how tiny this little person is, you could get a close up of a tiny hand on top of a parent’s.
- Keep a number of different blankets and pillows for sleeping babies.
- Have some soothing music or soothing sounds in the background, which can help the baby to sleep and therefore be more pliable to an attractive position.
Babies don’t need much photo retouching, but just a little portrait editing can help clean up baby acne, cradle cap and other minor rashes that babies may have for just a few days or weeks, but it’s not something that you’d really want to remember.
The beauty of PortraitPro is that you can turn down all your sliders, use just the skin smoothing tools, use the touch up and restore brushes to get the skin just exactly how you want it.
You can also use the software to just brighten the eyes a tiny amount, and keep everything else exactly as you saw it in the camera.
See how easy it is, get a free trial now.